Natural Cold Process Soap Making Workshop
Our soap making classes are small (4 students max!) so you will get personalized attention while getting hands on experience. You will leave class with a booklet that includes safety instructions, necessary equipment list, step-by-step instructions, supplier list, soap recipes, soap molds, and over three pounds (approximately 12 four ounce bars) of soap.
This class will teach you:
- 3 hours of instruction in making cold process natural soap scented with essential oils and colored using clays or activated charcoal
- How to work safely with lye
- The properties of soap making oils and why we use them
- How to use an on-line lye calculator
- How to make a great bar of soap
- Make two completely different batches of soap and go home with a total of 3 lbs (12 bars)
- Light refreshments and snacks will be available
You’ll leave class with:
- La Soaperie goodie bag
- Detailed step-by-step soap making instruction booklet
- Safety instructions (general and lye related)
- Necessary equipment list
- Curing instructions
- 3 soap recipes
- 3 pounds of soap (12 bars) to take home
- Two silicone soap molds for you to keep
- The confidence to make soap at home on your own
- Supplier list of where to purchase ingredients
- Option to purchase additional supplies to make more soap at home
Please Bring to class:
- Spash/Chemical Safety glasses or goggles
- Two flat baking trays
- Old towel
- Wear Long sleeve shirt, pants and old shoes to class
You must be at least 18 years old to participate
Regrettably there is no wheelchair or walker access as our studio is in the basement
Soap made from scratch cannot be made without using Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda, NaOH, Lye). Lye works as an emulsifier in soap making that allows oils/butters to mix with water to create soap. This process is called saponification. There is some risk involved with our class including the use of Sodium Hydroxide and heating elements. A waiver will be provided for your signature prior to your participation in the class that excludes La Soaperie and the instructor from all liability from the improper use of the materials and equipment provided. A safety component relating to soap making and the use of Sodium Hydroxide will be provided in class. By purchasing this class and/or Sodium Hydroxide from La Soaperie you are automatically accepting the following agreement.
You will be using this product (lye) for making soap only.
You will not be reselling this product (lye).
You completely understand that this material (lye) is considered hazardous. You understand that this product (lye) can cause harm to your body.
You understand that this product (lye) is poisonous and can cause death if ingested.
You understand that lye will cause damage to your skin, eyes, or any other body part that it comes in contact with.
You understand that this product must be kept out of reach of children and pets.
You confirm that you are an adult, age 18 or above.
You have reviewed the Material Safety Data Sheet - Sodium Hydroxide pertaining to safe handling, usage, and disposal of this product.
You understand that water should never be added to lye or you will experience a "lye volcano". Lye is slowly added to water in small amounts when preparing your lye solution for soap making.
You assume responsibility for using, storing, and disposing of this product properly, and do not hold La Soaperie liable for any harm or damage caused to you or anyone else who comes into contact with this product.